Last week I shared Gwyned’s principles beginning with the letter P: Precision, Patience and Persistence. I asked you to share some of yours. You didn’t disappoint. How could I have forgotten Practice. Creativity goes to the suggestion of Pay-off, or the fruits one’s the labor.
As I circled my studio, avoided my studio, and paced my studio, I began an internal debate as to whether I was Procrastinating or Pondering. The navigation and/or avoidance of my studio is something I do with far more frequency than I care to admit. It happens most often when creative problem solving is required or during a period of transition in the work. This time, I finished the background of Mother’s Little Helper and it was time to move to the foreground.
Tips to help with paper piecing
The background is paper pieced. I’m very comfortable paper piecing. I’ve used it for precision piecing “odd” angles for years. Over time I have figured out the products and method that work best for me. My favorite paper is Carol Doak’s Foundation Paper. Why? It is the perfect weight. Anything lighter won’t go through the printer. Anything heavier and removing it after piecing is likely to break stitches or get caught under the stitches. Speaking of stitches, I always set my machine to make very, VERY short stitches for paper piecing. This is great for removing the paper, but not so great if you need a do over, since the paper is now highly perforated and the relevant section could fall away. This is when my other favorite product comes into play, 1/4″ Quilter’s Tape. I cover the sewn seam with the tape and voila, repair made. Now I can re-sew the seam and the paper with tape is removable when the time comes.
The foreground is a whole other story. I had multiple “problems” to resolve. The first was what color way order to stack the pills. EQ 8 and my husband to the rescue. I tried out 3 different color ways and had my husband choose his favorite, with the caveat he had to give me the reason why. Since, his choice was where I was leaning, I chose that. Next was facing up to appliqué. If you have followed me for a while, you know appliqué is not in my comfort zone. I could fuse the pills, but I don’t like the look of raw edge fusing unless what I am making is more ragged than smooth. I opted to machine appliqué, but this time I used Bottom Line thread in a similar color and value to the piece being appliquéd. The stitch I use is the blind hem stitch. I also adjust the length to very short and width to narrow. This allows me to easily go around curves or pivot. The “bite” taken on the appliqué is tiny, but sufficient to anchor it since there are many stitches.
Finally, I needed to work out a way to layout the four pill stacks so they would be evenly spaced. I could have cut everything out and eyeballed the position. Not my style or comfort level. I had already worked out the math on EQ 8. Great, but how could I transfer that to the top itself. Quilter’s Tape to the rescue again. I gave myself some guide lines. The first stack is done. Next week should be easier now I know what I am doing.
I am linking up with Nina Marie’s Off the Wall Fridays.