Here I am, once more, dealing with fiddly bits. This is never my intention. Yet it seems I can’t resist pushing just one step further. Then bam! I am bogged down in some process which requires inordinate patience to even come close to what my goal is. Am I a perfectionist? I don’t believe so. I’m perfectly content with close enough. Still… is it close enough if poor craftsmanship feels glaringly obvious?
My goal is to create several 3D butterflies to appear to be emerging or at least alighting on Out of the Ashes. Last week I shared my prototype. What I didn’t share is how awkward and fussy it felt turning the wings right side out, smoothing the curves and stitching the final section of the seam closed. I reassured myself that it would get easier with practice. Perhaps if I made 100 or 1,000 butterflies it would. Three butterflies in and they seem to take 10 times the amount of time to make than I believe they should. Dealing with fiddly bits is quite the slog.
Not all is doom and gloom. One part of this project is working brilliantly. This is how I plan to attach the butterflies to the quilt. My goal is to be able to easily attach and remove them. Velcro was the obvious answer. But, and it is a very big BUT, the issue is this would leave a strip of velcro visible on the quilt when the butterfly is detached. Yuck! Out of the blue, I thought magnets. It works. I am over joyed, thrilled, ecstatic…
I am linking up with Nina Marie’s Off the Wall Fridays.